Welcome to the YoWangdu Tibetan Culture Resources section, a curated list of our recommendations to help with all your Tibet-related needs. Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. We make the recommendations based on either personal experience or on the recommendations from people we trust, and our belief that the listings are helpful and useful.
Planning a Trip to Tibet
- If you are planning a trip to Tibet, we can put you in touch with a reliable Tibetan-owned travel agent who will plan a trip that gives you a real feel for Tibet. Contact us here for help.
- Tibet travel blog
Series on altitude sickness in Tibet
- Altitude Sickness in a Nutshell: Worried about Getting Altitude Sickness? You’re Not Alone.
- Altitude Sickness in Tibet: How Bad are the Symptoms?
- What is My Risk of Getting High Altitude Sickness?
- How to Avoid Altitude Sickness in Tibet?
Delhi to Dharamsala Travel Websites
See more info at the Delhi to Dharamsala: Getting to Little Lhasa post:
- Train bookings MakeMyTrip.com
- Bus bookings Himachal Pradesh State Government Ticketing Site
- Flight bookings TravelMarket.com
If you are planning a trip to Tibet, we can put you in touch with a reliable Tibetan-owned agent who will plan a trip with local Tibetan guides that gives you a real feel for Tibet. Contact us here for Tibet travel help.
FOOD AND COOKING
Tibetan Restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Cafe Tibet
Traditional and authentic Tibetan cuisine
2020 University Ave (between Milvia St & Shattuck Ave) Berkeley, CA 94704
- Momo Masala
Indian/Tibetan fusion2505 Hearst Avenue (cross street Euclid), Berkeley, CA 94709
Tibetan Caterers in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Tsering Tamding, caterer or personal chef
Our friend and guest chef on our Tibetan Home Cooking ebook, Tsering la specializes in Indian and Tibetan foods (along with Italian, Chinese and Ghanaian!)
- Cafe Zambala catering and farmers markets (Berkeley, Grand Lake in Oakland)
Our friend and chef/owner of Cafe Zambala, Nawang Jungtuktsang, specializes in Himalayan foods, like basmati rice with your choice of vegetables or chicken with an organic salad alongside.
Where to Buy Tsampa
- In person: If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, Samten la sells bags of tsampa at very reasonable prices from her Cafe Tibet restaurant in Berkeley, California. 2020 University, Berkeley, CA (510) 548-5553
- By mail: We can also recommend buying from Ann at Purple Mountain Tsampa, who will ship to you. Ann makes tsampa fresh to order from hull-less barley, a “whole food” barley grown without a hull, and nutritionally superior to “pearled” or “hulled barley.” Contact Ann at email@example.com.
- Online: Also, our friend Dhondup la, sells tsampa online at Tibetan Tsampa.
Other Foodstuff and Cooking Supplies
- Dutch oven – for baking Amdo balep made in the oven.
- Pearled barley – for making your own tsampa. *We have note bought barley through Arrowhead Mills, but have used them for many other grains.
- Emma or yerma – spice for momos and other meat dishes.
- Dried shiitake mushrooms – for veggie momos and a bunch of veggie dishes.
- Electric grain mill – for grinding barley to make tsampa.
Sign up to discover some tasty, user-friendly recipes that will jump-start your Tibetan cooking success.
Get instant access now! >>
Tibetan health and education nonprofits that we recommend donating to. For more information, check out the full “Be Happy, Help Tibet” post on Tibetan charities:
- Braille Without Borders, Tibet
- Institute of Buddhist Dialectics
- Tibetan Healing Fund
- Tibetan Nuns Project
- TANC Tibetan Community Center Building Fund
Learning Tibetan Buddhism Online
Of course, we are a bit partial to our own Practical Guide for Tibetan Buddhism: Tools for Beginners self-paced online course, but that is only for beginning students, and is meant to supplement your work with a class or teacher.
For more info, see Ron Fairfield’s guest post, called Studying Tibetan Buddhism Online:
- Berzin Archives
- Dharma Sun
- Foundation for the Preservation of Mayana Tradition (FPMT) Online Programs
- Jamyang Buddhist Centre
- Kagyu Samye Ling
- Rangjung Yeshe Institute
Tibetan Buddhist Teachers
Western Buddhist Teachers with a Tibetan Perspective
If you’re a newbie to Tibetan Buddhism:
Books we Love from Great Teachers
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama – Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of The Dalai Lama
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama – The Dalai Lama: Policy of Kindness
- Pema Chodron – When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times (Shambhala Classics)
- Tara Brach – Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha
Where to buy Tibetan Singing Bowls
Disclaimer: We are offering these resources with a good faith effort to provide recommendations for good services, products, websites and organizations, but we do not take responsibility for your purchases or experiences with them. Please conduct your own careful follow up research and review before buying or using any of the recommendations. Importantly, please let us know if you have a negative experience with any of them so that we can consider removing them from the list if needed. Thanks!
Last updated: October 11, 2016 at 6:48 am